September 16, 2019 Music & Culture
As part of the ongoing centennial celebration of Philippine cinema, Kamias Overground in cooperation with UP Film Institute, Across Asia Film Festival, and RCW Foundation, Inc. chose to put the spotlight on experimental cinema.
In 19-Kopong-kopong: This is not a silent film fest by Khavn, they will revisit early cinema while paying tribute and recognition to groundbreaking films from the 1920s that explored new realms for and of cinema.
A special line-up of avant-garde short films is curated by filmmakers Khavn, Stefano Galanti, and film scholar JB Capino. A live experimental soundtrack—to be performed by Khavn himself on digital piano, Lourd De Veyra of Kapitan Kulam on noise guitar, and Jazz Nicolas of Itchyworms on synth and samplers—will accompany the film compilation.
19-Kopong-kopong is free and open to the public (on a first-come, first-served basis) and will take place on September 19, 2019 (Thursday) 5 PM – 8 PM at the UPFI Film Center Cine Adarna.
This is a benefit show for mental health awareness: all donations will go to the RCW Foundation.
- “The Victor” by Walther Ruttmann (Germany, 1922) [3min]
- “Entr’acte” by Rene Clair (France, 1924) [21min]
- “Ballet Mechanique” Fernand Leger & Dudley Murphy (France/USA, 1924) [19min]
- “Kino Pravda No. 23” by Dziga Vertov (Russia, 1925) [20min]
- “Jeux des Reflets et de la Vitesse” by Henri Chomette (France, 1925) [8min]
- “A Lightplay: Black White Gray” by Laszlo Maholy-Nagy (Hungary, 1926) [6min]
- “Anemic Cinema” by Marcel Duchamp (France, 1926) [7min]
- “Boxing Match” by Charles Dekeukeleire (Belgium, 1927) [8min]
- “Ghosts Before Breakfast” by Hans Richter (Germany, 1928) [9min]
- “The Life And Death Of 9413 A Hollywood Extra” by Robert Florey & Slavko Vorkapic (USA/Serbia, 1928) [11min]
- “The Electric Nights” by Eugène Deslaw (Ukraine, 1928) [13min]
- “L’étoile de Mer” by Man Ray (France, 1928) [17min]
- “Straightforward Boy” by Yasujiro Ozu (Japan, 1929) [14min]
- “Un Chien Andalou” by Luis Bunuel (Spain, 1929) [22min]
Cover photo by Don Gordon Bell